dollification. doll fetish. dolls. dolly. dollie. dollific.

dollification: the process of evolving, mentally and physically, into a "living doll."
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A friend's doll stories...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:03 pm 

Hi there. I'm wanting to post links to a friend of mine's stories here. I feel they'd fit in nicely. The stories are actually versions of the same theme, continuosly evolving as you can see. Ver. 4 is his ideal Mannequin 3. There's even a ver. 8 which is his autobiography and a script version of ver. 5.1, but they're only available as downloads. If anybody would like to see those too I could post a link. Anyway, here's The Journey To Love...

The TJTL Project

Let me know what you think! I've been trying to get him back into the writing game. He's slowly doing so, but I need some more advice to give him!

Post subject: Re: A friend's doll stories...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:22 pm 

I think your friend is in serious need of an editor, or at the very least a proof-reader, because the writing is pretty awful, and the grammar/construction are even worse. A shame, because it's obscuring some decent ideas.

The language of the heart

PJ Harvey

Ken Zen Ichi Nyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:37 pm 

SeigiNingyoushi wrote:
I think your friend is in serious need of an editor, or at the very least a proof-reader, because the writing is pretty awful, and the grammar/construction are even worse. A shame, because it's obscuring some decent ideas.

I've suggested that. He has been learning to pair things down a tad, but he compulsively gets caught up in the details.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:55 pm 

I don't mean editing in terms of paring down, but to knock the poor writing into shape. Although, to be honest, the writing would need to be a lot better before most editors would even bother with it.

Writing is a craft, one which requires dedication and study. It is about technique as much as it is about style and ideas. Your friend has the ideas, but neither the style nor the technique. The answer to this is practice, practice, practice.....a skilled writer will hone a piece through a process of revision, rewriting and rewriting and rewriting again, until every word plays its part in creating the whole.

I would suggest your friend start with that, paying particular attention to cliche, repetition, sentence construction, and dialogue. Part of that process may include paring down and cutting out flab, but there is a lot more to be done to make these pieces engaging and readable.

PJ Harvey

Ken Zen Ichi Nyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:27 am 

I'll share that with him the best I can. He's rather sensitive about it. He says he gets caught up in things because of some Asperger condition he says he has. It's supposed to be like autism, but it's not.

Do you happen to post on TDF, by chance?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:19 am 

I know what Aspergers is, and actually that would explain a lot. Unfortunately it probably renders my suggestions somewhat moot, because he will find it very difficult to apply the craft aspects of writing as opposed to the pure flow of ideas and details.

Perhaps it brings us back to my first suggestion, for an editor to take the writing and either help with the construction, or perhaps take on the task of doing some of the revision. Wouldn't necessarily need to be a professional, just someone with a good knowledge and command of language, and an appreciation of how structure and construction create a framework within which the ideas and details can thrive and shine.

Your friend has some talent, but as with most creative pursuits, talent alone isn't enough. Part of the process of becoming a writer, rather than just someone who writes, is to keep at it, and to keep refining one's technique.....but the key to that is being able to identify and learn from mistakes, and to keep extending and developing one's skills. There are many ways to do this, by learning from oneself and from others.

If your friend can acquire a friendly editor, and apply some of these techniques for improvement, there's potential there which could bear fruit.

PJ Harvey

Ken Zen Ichi Nyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:20 pm 

Thank you. Your suggestions have given me some good ideas that I may be able to apply to him.